Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pain

This week I went home in very bad pain. I was unable to focus on work and couldn't drive myself home. I've never been immobilized to that level outside of surgery. Speaking and walking were difficult challenges, things that had been so easy before. My energy was drained trying to focus on gentleness of speech and clear directions on the way home. (The Lord knows how hard this was for me!)

My pain subsided with medication. It was temporary. But I have three friends that deal with severe pain management on a daily basis. The energy it took to act kindly and patiently gave me a new respect for what they face in  the daily acts of life. It's like you are in slow motion processing everything through the veil of pain while the world speeds on around you.  

I really stink at extending compassion and remembering that life takes extra effort for them. So, today I wanted to post a reminder. To me. To anyone. Be considerate of those around you who face daily challenges with pain. 


1 comment:

Marcy said...

kendra, how so very true. Anytime I've ever been in severe pain the entire world around me shuts down. My true colors shine.

I'll remember your friends in my prayers.