Monday, October 16, 2006

Wait (1 Samuel 13)

And you shall go down before me to Gilgal; and behold, I will come down to you to offer burnt offerings and sacrifice peace offerings. You shall wait seven days until I come to you and show you what you should do. 1 Samuel 10:8

Waiting agitates my desire for control. When I wait, I humble myself to someone else's decisions and timing. Waiting requires time, in which I subject my mind and heart to faith in someone else coming through on their promise. In relationship to God, waiting requires faith and taking Him at His word. In the above conversation between Samuel and Saul at his private anointing as King, Saul was promised that after he preceded Samuel to Gilgal, Samuel would offer sacrifices to the Lord and would give Saul instruction on what to do. The new King must wait on God and take Him for His word.

Little did Saul know that the occasion for gathering at Gilgal would be in the context of oncoming raids and battle with the Philistines. Because of Isreal's previous unwillingness to completely wipe out the Philistines when they moved into the neighborhood (the Promised Land), the Philistines had market control over ironworking. In their quest for control, Philistia cut off Israel from being able to have swords and modern fighting equipment. Saul and his son Jonathan were the only two who owned swords. Three thousand Isrealites with their axes, hoes and practical workman's tools gathered against the 30,000 chariots and 6,000 horsemen of Philistia.

Israel was terrified. They were running across the border (crossing the Jordan), hiding in caves, and trembling at the thought of facing the Philistines. Not only was Saul's army miniscule compared to his opponents, but the lack of weaponry and declining morale mounted stress on Saul as a national leader.

Wait.

Did God really expect Saul to WAIT on Samuel?

Samuel's seven days were up on Saul's stopwatch. The impounding stress and fleeing Isrealite soldiers created a circumstance that seemed to need quick action. Waiting on God looked foolish for someone laying their bet on a worldly solution. God may have previously confirmed Saul's kingship with a victory over the Ammonites, but that was a far cry from Saul's stressful circumstance. The people expected a King to deliver them, and Saul was ready to give into his and their fears.

We see Saul flounder in this account, taking action into his own hands and offering the sacrifice. He decided not to wait any longer for Samuel. In divine timing, Samuel arrives just in time to rebuke Saul and remove him from the divinely appointed role as King over Israel. Through impatience, Saul lost God's blessing.

I can very much relate to Saul's impatience in waiting. I often take comfort in having control in my own hands. When I do this, I don't have to see with holy eyes the pain, fear, or selfishness that truly are a part of my heart. . .I seem righteous when I take matters into my own hands. But when I wait, allowing prayer, the Word of God, accountability, or wise counsel to examine me, I see my sin and can focus my attention on becoming a woman after God's own heart. In that, I do not need my own righteousness, because I rely on Christ's power in me and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. I wait in His shaping to change my attitude or ability to have victory in a challenging circumstance.

Saul chose not to rest in God's promise and God's proven character. Are you resting today in God's promises and His proven character to be the Almighty, the Counselor, the Redeemer, the provider, the lover of your soul, etc.?

© 2006 by Kendra Hinkle.

No comments: