Friday, July 07, 2006

Return to Me (1 Samuel 4)

Lip service cannot hide the heart.
I am not fooled by guile.
In true repentance should my daughter return,
her heart would be safe in me.
Yet, Israel has forsaken her first Love
with a ferocious appetite for the wind.

Her walls of protective blessing obey my voice,
crumbling before her enemies.
Adamantly in desperation she raises a flag of victory in my Name,
but pretending my presence does not hide her bleeding heart.
“Return to Me, my love, and you will be safe.”
But she does not want the Holy.

Decisively, in glorious array, I sit unmoved and silent
as a tidal wave of Philistine fury rises from my deep.
Tragedy upon tragedy sweeps away her men of renown.
Wisdom wails through her pain, “The glory of God has departed!”
I have chosen to chasten her hard heart
so she might wholly return to me.
© 2006 by Kendra Hinkle.

No comments: