Monday, July 03, 2006

Obedience to the Call (1 Samuel 3)

Samuel definitely gets press time in this chapter. He was the ignorant boy who acted with a right heart, while the High Priest's educated and highly positioned sons brought down the house of God with their selfish ambition. Samuel was obedient and faithful. Eli's sons were impatient and greedy. God's character ultimately allowed Eli's son's be ruined in their folly, while He raised Samuel to a place of honor. Remember that "man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart"(1 Samuel 16:7b).

Samuel slept in the Holy of Holies at the center of the Temple to make sure that the golden lamp stands did not extinguish before sun-up. Samuel heard God call His name one night while sleeping there, and the Bible reminds us that Samuel had not yet experientially known God. The boy was obedient to authority and in learning, but three times he runs to Eli instead of responding to the voice of God. He was ignorant of God's voice. Eli discerned that Samuel was being called by God and taught the boy to humbly listen.

The first of the two characteristics that I really like in Samuel is obedience. Samuel was a student and a servant for Eli. He had the job of sleeping in the Temple floor and putting oil into the lamps. As a faithful servant according to Eli's instruction, there was no glory by human standards. But Samuel had a great heart. Later in the chapter, Samuel must be obedient to God and faithfully deliver his first prophesy. Though he is afraid, Samuel must speak painful truth to his earthly mentor and surrogate father, Eli. Samuel's obedience is tested not only through human authority, but through God's authority.

Secondly, Samuel does not make a place for himself to be honored. As he places himself into the center of God's will and listens, Samuel is directed to a place of honor that only God could give. From lamplighter to national leader, God chooses to exalt Samuel to lead the people back to God.

It is very tempting for me, in my desire for an official job in young women's ministry, to make much of myself. Within, I have the very heart of Eli's sons. Self-promotion and greed motivate me. Yet, through Christ I have the capacity for obedience and a God-ward motivated heart. His great act of mercy through Jesus enables me to trust that He has chosen to exalt and make low according to His purposes on earth. I do not need to make much of myself, but to trust that He knows better than I what will bring Him the glory. As I faithfully serve in what I know, He will make a straight path before me.

© 2006 by Kendra Hinkle.

No comments: