Friday, July 28, 2006

Precious Purity

As a 28 year-old virgin in a gynecologist office, I expect gasps and sideways glances when I speak about my lack of sexual activity. Today was different.

My new male doctor was referred to me through the church. This being my first visit, I spoke with him about my past, and my desire to have his female nurse practitioner do my breast exam. He then shared with me his policy on exams for virgins, which is much less intrusive. He also offered for the nurse practitioner to do the whole exam. We discussed details to make sure that this would be the best measure. While many doctors are sensitive to women in situations like this, this doctor takes a stance on honoring purity in the fear of God. I had come expecting the normal, yet not so comfortable, situation for women. But what I got was a lesson from God.

Just two days prior, I had been walking along a four-lane road in our town. I usually have my workouts planned along long, populated roads. I like the protection advantage that many eyes can provide, though I prefer to work out along trails and quiet roads. Unfortunately on this prior day, a man in a car decided to harass me during a large portion of my workout. I even darted across four lanes to get to the other side as he pulled into a driveway in front of me. Sadly, this is the social transaction I've come to expect. It's so normal for people to look out for their own interests instead of the ways of God. (I'm as guilty as anyone in this.)

As I left the doctors office today, tears streamed down my face as I thanked the Lord for what I didn't know I needed. I needed to have a man make a decision to honor my own purity in the fear of God. I've not had someone knowingly and intentionally do that before. I entered the doctors office expecting the norm, though not horrible in itself. I left with a dose of grace.

Grace comes washing over us at times, like a heavy rain in a sun-parched land. There's so much of God's abundant grace that the soil of our hearts can only take a portion of it in. Even that small, small bit of grace absorption leaves us beyond our saturation point.

I see both of these incidents as a lesson from God. He showed me the world's ways, and he showed me the potential of how a man can honor me through fearing God. In this I know better what to look for in a husband. I also have hope that there is protection and rest in God's ordained boundaries. A man who fully ascribes to God the glory due Him will treat precious what is of great worth and value in His sight. . . for example, our sexual purity before marriage and heart purity once married.

© 2006 by Kendra Hinkle.

1 comment:

Marcelina said...

YOu are so precious!! And thank God for God-fearing men!!