Wednesday, August 22, 2007

One Thing (Psalm 27:4, Mark 10:21, Luke 10: 41-42)

For a little topical study in relation to prayer, I have been looking at some "one thing" verses in Scripture:

Psalm 27:4 David's one thing
One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek;
That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the LORD and to meditate in His Temple.

Mark 10:21 Jesus to the rich young ruler
Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, "One thing you lack; go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

Luke 10:41-42 Jesus to Martha, Mary's sister
"Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her."


"One thing" rules out everything else. It is an expression of importance and devotion. Most of my own life seems to be in competition with devotion to this singleness of heart and mind. "One thing" is intimidating to approach because of my sin. Yet, the more I approach with the simplicity of "One thing" in my sights, the easier it is to realize the grace that is extended to me.

From the busyness of life which competes with devotion to One, I come to my busy mind that fights the simplicity and necessity of One. From there my emotions fight the reality of holiness and grace in comparison to my sinful self. Approaching, each resistant part of my life breaks from my spirit's own desperation for Jesus Christ and God the Father. Then, through the doors of the temple of His presence, I find myself prostrate in His glory - amid the beauty of His holiness.

I received the invitation, and I have come.

© 2007 by Kendra Hinkle

Scripture marked “NAS” is taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by the Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have an illustration of someone who seemed to have it all together, but lacked the one thing needed to do what they were trying to do?

Kendra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kendra said...

A biblical example that came to mind is Nabal. He really had everything the world could offer, including a prideful heart and a beautiful wife. But he lacked God's will and died for going against it.

Or Judas. He literally had Everything in front of him in Christ. But he let one thing overtake him - greed (lack of true love for Christ) - and is now imfamous as the betrayer of Christ.

I bet you could find a proverb that would be a simple illustration. Maybe the young man tempted by the adultress/prostitute. He's got the world ahead of him, but lacked discretion and will pay dearly for it. Proverbs 7:6ff

Real life examples (not sure of your audience):

Hidden sin stories - Everything can look so good on the outside, but corruption is knocking on the door of the heart daily in our inner man. It's a struggle we all can relate to.

Leaking brake system in a perfectly good looking car. You lose too much pressure, you lose your braking abilty.

Heroes/Villains from history or movies who were overcome by their tragic flaw: Hitch - he professionally looks good but lacks true love, which he is ultimately overcome by and falls in love

Parkinsons disease - my grandfather now lacks the ability to walk. His body and mind are good. But they are not connected.

Baking examples - missing one key ingredient. Or, getting a reaction by replacing a key ingredient with something your audience would be appalled at. Maybe look online for some crazy recipes!

These aren't exactly what you are looking for, but they were my best brainstorm effort! Hopefully they will spur you on in thinking of more examples.

Kendra said...

Jumanji was on TV last night. There is a scene with Robin Williams and a cop in a car. It's comical. The cop is handcuffed to the driver's door and RW is in the driver's seat but doesn't really know how to drive. At the time they need to stop the cameral angle shows the bottom of the car and the brake fluid spraying out as RW pushes on the brakes. Then they crash into a building.

Anonymous said...

You are very creative, these are good examples. Thank you.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.