Thursday, February 08, 2007

A Friend's Open Hand (1 Samuel 20)

Three times today the phrase "open hand" has come to my mind ~ one in a blog, one from remembering a sermon, and one from my 1 Samuel study notes. I was originally awakened to the phrase in a church sermon outside of Kansas City. The pastor was describing the faith of Abraham in allowing Lot to have the first choice in land division (Genesis 12:7). Becuase Abraham rested in God's ability to provide, He did not need to protect the situation for his best interest. God promised. Abraham believed and rested.

Likewise, Jonathan befriended David wholeheartedly. As typical heir to the throne, Saul hoped Jonathan would be territorial over his future kingdom. Instead, Jonathan acted with an open hand toward David, God's anointed. With active faith Jonathan helped time and again to save David's life, working against his own father and his own future role as King. His hand toward David was open. God was working toward His will, and neither Jonathan or David was outside of His care.

In my reading today, I was convicted of my attitude of late. I've been facing new stressors and protecting my best interest as I make decisions. I have been close-fisted instead of resting in God's consistent character and watchfulness over me. I've been my own protector and providor, my own best logic and my own source of wisdom. On the contrary, what I need most comes from without, instead of within. Living without faith is egocentric. When I take control, my fist closes to God and to friends. When I relinquish control, my hand joyfully opens to offer the best to others as I trust God to take care of me.

Are you an open-handed friend?

© 2007 by Kendra Hinkle

No comments: