Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Extra Grace Required

I've found it! My life's quote...

Accountability partners have been some of the sweetest and deepest relationships in my life. There's nothing quite like coming to the cross of Christ humbled and broken with someone who knows that they have also been saved. Deeply grateful, and still dependent. Together we bury our faces at the foot of the cross, opening our lives to one another for enouragement, rebuke, teaching, and fellowship in the precious name of Jesus.

I'm no longer in Indianapolis. In fact, I'm in a "whole other country." Yet, my times to talk with A on the phone bring me a joy and peace that aren't easily matched. Yesterday, I called A to wish her a happy birthday. We shared our lives while I drove out of the city. Amid the traffic, while wishing I could be in the HOV, A told me a story about finding a post-it note in the midst of her frustration with a difficult situation. The post-it read, "Extra grace required." She was immediately reminded to extend grace to others, because great and amazing grace had been extended to her.

I've attached the phrase to my mind, keeping it as a reminder of God's grace to me as I go throughout my day. Really, I would like to wear it as a banner accross my own forehead. Jesus is the source of my worth. I won't be able to please you fully. I can't do everything perfectly. To love me you must read my label which says, "Extra grace required." I will also have to apply this in order to love you.

Christ is at the center of grace. Know it. Receive it. Give it.

...And stick a few post-its around to remind you that relationships are going to need an extra ounce of grace, both being given to others and being received from others in the name of Christ.

© 2007 by Kendra Hinkle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good quote. I believe it is from "The Purpose Driven Life." Not sure if Rick Warren coined the phrase, but it was the first time I had heard it. He used it to describe those people in our lives who require an extra amount of patience. But I like what you said. We all require extra grace from others at some point (probably often!) and we all need to give it to others!

Rebecca