Thursday, March 02, 2006

Treat Him as Holy

One day this week I was angry with God over my circumstances. In my unbelief, I allowed worry and elevated emotion to overcome the joy that is mine in Christ. I sat with Him in my anger, having liberally spoken what was on my mind. Then, the Holy Spirit began to convict me using scripture.

.

I am finishing my study of Deuteronomy. Through it I've watched as Moses gave his last words to Israel before they crossed the Jordan to take possession of the land promised to their ancestors (Abraham, Isaac, & Jacob). It was a long road from Egypt, with many learning opportunities as God’s trials allowed them to see what was in their hearts. On the opposite side of the Jordan River and looking across it into their future, anticipation was building. But one man had yet to die on this side of the Jordan before they could enter - Moses.

.

In His last days, Moses chose to recount to Israel their journey and all that the Lord had done for them. He also challenged them to courageous obedience for the warfare ahead. These last words of a faithful lover of God bring humiliation to my doubting soul. Moses was forbidden to enter the promised land because he failed to treat God as holy before the people (Numbers 20:8-12). God allowed Moses to ascend Mt. Nebo to look over the land where Israel would soon enter, but he could not go in as a consequence of his sin (Deut. 32:48-52).

.

God is faithful to the glory of His own name, and Moses’ failure to treat God as holy before the people at Meribah could not be overlooked. Imagine that! Moses was the man allowed to be hidden in the cleft of the rock to see God’s glory pass by, whose second nature was to fall prostrate before God and seek His counsel. Such favor with God might bring us to think that Moses got special treatment, but God’s zeal for His own name would not consider it.

.

Deuteronomy finishes with the faithfulness of Moses. In being disciplined, he does not puff himself up as He did at Meribah, nor did he disregard the specific commands of God. Instead, rebuke successfully taught him to fear and honor God no matter what the circumstances. He stands before the people to raise high the banner of God’s glory, with both them and him aware of his inability to enter into the promised land. There is no zeal for the name of “Moses,” only a love and fear for the name of God.

.

How much more should I, a woman saved by God’s son, treat Him as holy? Trials have revealed my unbelief and a loose tongue. I am learning to balance fear and transparency before God. He allows me to lay all of my emotions down before Him, as David did in the Psalms. But accusing God according to my unbelief dishonors His name. I was wrong to accuse God of unkindness and forgetfulness in my unbelief.

.

In contrast to myself, Moses words in his last days show that he believes God. Moses understands that being disciplined does not mean that God has forsaken him, something I previously was confused about. My heart has been challenged to grow in treating God as holy, as well as doing so for his commands for us as the church. My circumstances, my emotions, and even my rationale may seem to justify sinful dishonor…but God is the one who does not change.

In all spiritual wisdom, may you and I be able to revere and laud the holiness of God, just as Moses did in the midst of being disciplined:

.

There is none like the God of [Israel],

who rides the heavens to your help

and through the skies in His majesty. (33:26)

.

Ascribe greatness to our God!

The Rock!

His work is perfect, His ways are just…

Righteous and upright is He. (32:3-4)

No comments: