Friday, March 17, 2006

Slumber

When I go to sleep at night, I know that I have a great need. I fall asleep in the arms of God, aware that I am in a very vulnerable and weak state. I can't defend myself when I sleep, nor can I function well the next day without it. I must sleep. I was designed with a physical weakness, a need for rest. It is my daily reminder of my neediness for the One who created me.

God is not like me. He does not need to refuel and detox from the day's events. His energies are endless. His strength without bounds. So, He designed me to need Him at night when I close my eyes. I feel like I am the baby, whose sleep is necessary so often. He is the adult, adoring the weakness and loving the opportunity to watchfully protect.

Each night as I lay down, I look into the heart of God and worship Him for making me weak and needy. In such a state I rely on Him and trust Him for who He is.

© 2006 by Kendra Hinkle.

No comments: