Wednesday, January 18, 2006

God-Centered Decision Making

I'm at it again...job searching. My Bible training program ends in May, and I am on the hunt just like last year at this time. I never would have imagined moving to Texas, but God opened the door. It has been a perfect shaping and growing habitat for me. I'm so grateful for this unique time. How often does someone get to take a whole year of their life out to study the Word and be mentored by Godly women?

I'm privileged to walk through the decision making process with God on my side. I can't imagine it without His ear, His guidance, and His values to guide me. Today, I wanted to take a moment to emphasize two things that have been on my heart as I look forward to the unknown times ahead.

First, I've been praying in the likeness of Acts 1:24-25. In the early church, there was need to replace the apostolic position that Judas had filled. They needed a faithful eyewitness to join them in their leadership. They chose two men, and then laid the matter out to God. Their prayer said something like, "God, you know the hearts of these men. Show us which one of these you would choose to fill this ministry."

I want to be the type of person whom my husband and my future employer would choose because God showed his favor and approval of my inner life. I want God to be able to say to my husband and my employer, "Have you considered my servant, K."

Second, I want to begin processing decisions in a way that will be an asset for the rest of my life. I want to create a prayer and listening groove so worn out on my path of life that I can't help but fall before God to get His counsel. Making a decision without Him would be absurd...and I need to make sure that I am practicing that attitude while I am a young woman. I will also prepare myself for action and watch for Him. I want to be ready!

No comments: