Monday, May 12, 2008

Boast No More

lyrics by Isaac Watts
and musically remixed by Caedmon's Call

No More My God,
I boast no more
Of all the duties I have done
I quit the hopes I held before,
To trust the merits of Thy Son

Now, for the loss I bear his name,
What was my gain I count my loss
My former pride I call my shame
And nail my glory to His cross

Yes, and I must, I will esteem
All things but loss for Jesus' sake
O may my soul be found in Him
And of His righteousness partake
Amen, amen

The best obedience of my hands
Dares not appear before Thy throne
But faith can answer Thy demands
By pleading what my Lord has done

This weekend with Mu Chia and Karen, we studied the latter half of Philippians 2, where Paul relishes in knowing Christ as the most wonderful part of his life. We talked about what it meant to consider all things as loss compared to knowing Christ - with Paul, Timothy and Epaphroditus as the text's examples. This song does a good job of directing my heart and mind back to the centrality of being saved by grace through faith alone, not by anything that I can accomplish. It seems like one I could imagine Paul singing in his own heart as he continued in the work of God.

No comments: