Wednesday, September 12, 2007

When in Conflict, Read Proverbs 18

I don't get you men. Period. You make me crazy. I want to put you in a headlock for hours on end and rub onion on your face or peanut butter in your hair. Will you ever make sense to me?

The past week has been a bit stressful for me. I've had a lot of animosity towards a brother in Christ. Withholding from quarrelsome attitudes and honoring him despite my feelings was hard, and I definitely failed a lot.

In the midst of my trial, the Lord was faithful to lead me to Proverbs 18. Therein my heart was humbled. The power of the tongue and the speech of the fool spoke loudly to me. In addition, separating oneself from people (even in avoiding conflict) is both self-serving and unwise.

When trouble arises, it needs to be reconciled between brothers and sisters in Christ. It is not biblical to avoid conflict, to continue in quarrelsome attitudes, or to grant your tongue freedom of expression. The "we" is greater than "me," and reconciliation needs to happen within the scope of honesty, love, and forgiveness.

If you'd like to be humbled in your communication, taught wiser ways, I suggest opening up to Proverbs 18. I can come help shovel you up off of the floor when you are finished worshipping through it. That's where I was as the Spirit lowered me to a place of humility.

2 comments:

Marcy said...

Kendra, when are you free to bring yourself and your shovel to my apartment? :)

LeaderOfTheKnightsWhoSayNi said...

You carry a lot of wisdom there young grasshopper.

It always bugs me when those who are at any level in church leadership avoid conflict instead of trying to resolve it.

I was just in that situation at the top of this week. One person in the church didn't like something I was doing. The festered about it for so long, even avoiding my invitations to 'talk about it'. But this week, they had enough. Instead of talking to me, they took it right over my head to the Senior Pastor.

Of course, our Sr. Pastor is way cool and he kinda told them to cool it, and talk to LOTKWSN about it.

I hope you get things worked out.... And just for the record, I think having onion spead all over my face, and peanut butter rubbed all over my hair would be fun because I LOVE both.