Friday, March 02, 2007

The Beauty of the Lilly

Strong she stands amidst her fellows.
From kindness to kindness,
She is a gift.

To radiate glory
To reveal His praise.
No voice to sing, she is but a flower.

Silently waiting,
Yet ever teaching
Should her beauty begin to fade

Her life well lived,
She gave Him glory.
Scolding the anxious by beauty great.

Solomon will know
His glory was temporal
At best a showing of what will burn.

Then what will I
A simple worker
Set my heart upon at last?

Should clothing fade
And skin so wrinkle,
Will my beauty within endure?

Clothed with splendor
Washed in blood
I have been dressed by heaven's hand.

The lilly's beauty
Sits before me,
Striking my heart and humbling my head.

Truth be told
The Master has spoken
The lilly's beauty began in heaven.


Sometimes I worry about my clothes. I let my simple life and looks be compared to the creative and fun styles that are beyond what my wallet can afford. It is a selfish, though common, worry for women.

As I sat upon my bed in quiet moments talking with the Lord a few days ago, I looked to the boquet of flowers my housemate had given me in thanks. I had seen them so many times, being "wowed" at their beauty. They caught my eyes differently this time, realizing that the big beautiful ones were lillies. My mind remembered the Lord's teaching in Matthew chapter 6. The sweetness of the Lord's timing, with the worry in my heart, was both discipline and love.

The beauty of the lillies in my room, though they will fade quickly, reminds me of a great Provider and Lover of my soul. I can rest in Him.

© 2007 by Kendra Hinkle

No comments: