Sunday, November 19, 2006

Back Stage Pass or Dinner for Two? (1 Samuel 16)

Imagine not being invited to the party, but instead being assigned shepherd duty while your father and seven brothers got back stage passes with Samuel. Samuel was a prophet people trembled before. To be a guest at one of his sacrifices and meals required a special invitiation. To your surprise your dad gets an invite for the whole family, but SOMEONE has to stay behind with the stinkin' sheep. Guess who gets picked? That's right, the youngest. David was the youngest of his seven brothers and held the position of least honor as the youngest male. When Samuel's invitation arrived at Jesse's household, David was left with the responsibility of the flocks while the other males went to meet with Samuel.

At the party, Samuel was eager to anoint one of the sons of Jesse as Israel's new King. Samuel, looking at appearance and height of stature, was quite certain that the oldest son was he. Interrupted by the Lord, Samuel was reminded that the Lord looks inwardly into a man to make his selection, as opposed to relying on outward physical characteristics to enable a man to fulfill the role of King well. Then, one by one, each of the older brothers got passed by. The Lord had not chosen any of them.

Meanwhile, back on the ranch and to David's surprise, he was wisked away from the sheepfold to stand before Samuel. God had chosen him. Smelling of sheep and not of the same physical presentation as his impressive older brother, the last to be presented was indeed God's man who would be annointed as King.

God can look into the heart. He is able to do what man cannot. In our story, He is willing to withhold the judgement of a man as influential as Samuel in order to bring his will about in the life of an individual. God must really want David's leadership in Israel to happen, because He additionally enables David to accomplish the task by giving him the gift of himself, the "Spirit of the LORD"(v.13).

As a Christian and in like manner, God is so sold on my part in His plan to bring the good news to all nations, that he has enabled me fully to do it by giving me the gift of Himself, the gift of the Holy Spirit. Beyond living with Him and loving Him, I have a commission before me. His good news is to reach all nations, and He's been moving toward that goal since the first sin of man. Yet, I am worth more to Him than a hired worker or a concert attendee. I have a special place of intimacy in his heart.

Now, If I were David, I would have had a pity party because I did not get the back stage passes. I have a friend who amazingly wins regularly from contests on the radio. She's always getting the goods! She's got a magic cell phone, I tell you! I really want to go to the concerts, to be included in all the great prizes. But the truth is that God has a dinner for two planned. He's given me the larger gift by looking into my heart, commissioning me in His will, and giving me the gift of Himself.

I guess the question I ask myself today is this:
Is the backstage pass my greatest desire? Or am I trusting and relishing in dinner for two?

© 2006 by Kendra Hinkle.

No comments: